Gluten-free Victoria Sponge Cake
|Gluten-free victoria sponge cake|
Recipe Type: Dessert
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
Serves: Serves 12
Gluten free, classic, delicious. Welcome to the perfect gluten free Victoria sponge cake.
- 200g (7oz) butter (or dairy-free spread, to make the cake dairy free)
- 200g (7oz) caster sugar
- 4 small or 3 medium eggs
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp ground cumin
- 200g (7oz) gluten and wheat-free white self-raising flour (Doves Farm)
- Sieved raspberry or other good jam
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas mark 4.
- Mix butter or spread with the sugar in an electric mixer for 3-5 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
- Lightly beat the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of flour then mix in the rest of the flour.
- Oil a loose 6inch (cake to be small and high) or 8 inch (larger and flatter) cake tin or if you do not have a loose-bottomed tin, line it with oiled greaseproof paper. Spoon the mixture into the tin and tap the cake tin gently a few times on the counter top to flatten out the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes the remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes and then remove from the tin onto a rack and allow to cool completely.
- When the cake is cold, carefully cut it in half horizontally and spread a thick layer of jam over the bottom section.
- Carefully replace the top section and, using a sieve, sprinkle the top with icing sugar.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe