How to become a Perfect Peach Picker!
August 2nd, 2012
Peaches. Sweet, juicy, messy, scrummy, fruity, refreshing, fuzzy – the ultimate summer fruit?
Well, if you love these little furry balls of succulence you’ll be pleased to know August is officially Peach month!
But, did you know that although we get peaches quite easily here in the UK, they actually originate from China?
It’s written in Chinese mythology that peaches had magical powers and were favoured by the Eight Immortals.
So when you chomp down on that fleshy drupe you’re really eating the fruit of legend!
But, just how do you pick a perfect peach? Well, follow these 5 Top Tips and you’ll have peachy fruit every time..
- Head to your local – shopping at a farmers market or your local green grocers will (nearly) guarantee you the ripest and fleshiest peaches. That’s because the fruit is more likely to have been handpicked that day.
- Go Sherlock – You guessed it, investigate, investigate, investigate! Carefully inspect the surface of the peach for any bruises. If it has any – don’t buy it. Choose peaches that are streaked pink and yellow with a soft layer of white fuzz.
- Use your senses – Touch, sight and smell are all mega important to choosing the perfect peach – taste comes later! When smelling ask yourself if the peach is sweet-scented– if so, you’re onto a winner. For touch, make sure the peach is slightly soft. However, be sure not to over feel as you could damage the fruit making it bruise.
- Branch out – Although yellow peaches are probably the most readily available at your local, keep an eye out for the white kind too. Some say they’re the best of the two with a super sweet and succulent flavour.
- Handle with care – When you’ve decided on your pristine peaches don’t just throw them into your shopping bag, instead carefully place them at the top. Fresh peaches bruise, tear and blemish easily, so while they may have been top-notch in the shop it could be different story when you get home..
And remember, peaches don’t have to be reserved for the desert menu, you can make wonderfully meaty dishes with them too. Just check out our Perfectly Peachy Pork for a summer dish that’s truly delish!
Do you have any other perfect peach recipes? Why not share them with us on Facebook..
Leave a Reply