Why You Should Eat For The Season
July 13th, 2012
Ok, the weather has been pretty rubbish the last few weeks. In fact, the famous line from Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s Narrative Poem ‘The Rime of the Ancient Mariner’ has been darting around my head:
Water, water, everywhere, nor any drop to drink..
Fitting – don’t you think?
But, as the rains tumble, floods surge and patience wane with this “summer”, there’re some things you can look forward to and should celebrate.
Britain is a buzz with all things red, white and blue, but it’s not just us Brit peeps blooming with pride. Oh no, in fact, our fab fruit, veg and meats really come into their own during these summer months.
For instance, lamb, wood pigeon, john dory, beetroot, courgettes, strawberries, raspberries and artichokes (to name a few) are all at their best during the ‘sunny’ months.
So, why should we choose seasonal local and Great Brit produce over, say, imported asparagus from South America?
- It’s super tasty! Usually on your plate within a matter of days of being picked, dug up or caught. Fresh produce, quite frankly, tastes immense! And, their nutritional value rocks too especially when sold close to the area from which they were harvested.
- It takes you to the wild side – (well back to nature..) it’s surprising how many people think strawberries are grown all year round in the UK! But Mother Nature has a reason for her cycle – at different times of the year, our bodies need different nutrients and minerals to help keep us fit and healthy. For example, autumn has an abundance of veggies packed with vitamin C, this is to help build our immune systems and keep the nasty winter colds at bay.
- It’s cheaper – in theory anyway – it’s thought you avoid having to pay a premium for food that’s travelled a long way.
- It’s EF – that’s Environmentally Friendly. Because it doesn’t have to travel as far, the CO2 emissions and extra energy needed to transport it are dramatically reduced, making your grub green!
- Supports your local economy – and let’s face it, now is the time we should be championing our local farmers, fruit & veg shops, butchers and fishmongers. Plus the people who work there always have great advice and helpful tips in how to prepare and cook your fab food!
What’s your fave seasonal produce of all time? Do you think, as a nation, we’ve lost touch with Mother Nature? Tell us on Facebook..
One Response to “Why You Should Eat For The Season”
Leave a Reply